You may not have thought much about it, but Dental Operatories are a complex (and expensive) piece of real-estate. Beyond what you can see, there are lots of plumbing (dental water lines), air lines (for suction), and of course lots of electrical.
Maintaining the dental water lines in each operatory can be a time consuming effort. But, without proper treatment, dental water lines can become home to a growing host of bacteria colonies (also called biofilm). Biofilm can create odor in the dental water lines, but will also introduce bacteria into the dental treatment effort. We can all agree that is not a good thing. So asking your dentist and/or hygienist what they do to prevent biofilm is something that an educated dental services patient/consumer should be asking.
Here at Georgia Dental Medicine, to minimize the manual time-consuming treatment steps, and to eliminate the possibility of human error, we use dental waterline treatment solutions from Sterisil.com for all water that can go into a patients mouth. Here are the benefits of the Sterisil products that we use in each operator:
- Eliminates the hassle of dropping daily sterilization tablets into the dental bottles….and the potential for human error.
- Disinfects for 365 days.
- Built-in initial shock treatment to kill pre-existing bacteria.
- Treats dental unit water with a purity such that the number of Colony Forming Units (CFU) of bacteria is less than or equal to 10 CFU per milliliter. An industry standard.
- Non-toxic and non-corrosive.
- Silver is the key component of the Straw. Silver kills bacteria.
Here’s a video explaining biofilm (with a bit of humor) and the benefits of the Sterisil products that we use:
Rinse with ease. We’ve got you covered.